How-To Guide: Creating and Updating Your Charidy Account
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Step 1: Create Your Charidy Account & Customize Your Account Settings
- Go to this link and complete the required fields. Once your sign-up is successful, you’ll receive a confirmation email.
- Login on dashboard.charidy.com with the account used to register your organization with Charidy.
- Once you’ve logged in, go back to the upper left-hand corner and, from the drop-down menu, select Account Settings.
If you’re logged in and are attempting to access your account settings, select the dropdown icon alongside the name of the account holder on the left-hand menu and click on Account Settings.
In the Account Settings section, complete the Location, Time Zone, and website fields and upload your logo.
- Click Save
Next, find out how to add legal entities.
Step 2: Add Legal Entities
Add your legal entities to your account. The legal entity can be a Sole Proprietor, Corporation, or Nonprofit. Adding the legal entity provides us with the physical location of the Organization, allows us to accept payments via the specified bank accounts (read below for how to set up payment gateways), and provides proof of your tax-deductible status.
You can add more than one legal entity and choose which one you’d like to set as the primary.
Please note: Multiple legal entities are always required when collecting donations in multiple currencies or distributing tax receipts in multiple countries.
How to add legal entities:
In order to add a legal entity, you will need the legal organization’s address and the Tax ID number.
- Go to Account Settings (by clicking on the arrow near your username on the left-hand menu).
- Scroll down and select Add Legal Entity.
- Select Account Type and complete your organization’s details as prompted.
Step 3: Add Payment Gateways
Once you have added your legal entity/entities to your account, set up Payment Gateways in order to process donations. To process in multiple currencies without subjecting your donors to foreign exchange fees, you will need to add multiple payment gateways.
To Set Up a Stripe Account:
- Login to your Charidy Account.
- On the left-hand menu, select Payment Gateways > Stripe.
- Complete the requested fields, and save.
To Connect a Paypal Account:
Please do note that Charidy does not provide tax-deductible receipts for donations made with PayPal, as Paypal distributes their own based on your settings.
- Visit https://developer.paypal.com and log in to your existing Paypal account.
- Click your name on the upper right-hand corner of the screen and select Dashboard.
- Select My Account on the left-hand menu.
- Review your settings and ensure that all of the following are selected (see image below).
- Once you’ve reviewed and enabled your permissions, select “My Apps & Credentials” from the left-hand menu and scroll down to the section titled “REST API Apps.”
- Select the App name. If there are no app names listed, create a new one by clicking Create App.
- Once your app is created/selected, make sure to switch to LIVE mode and submit your LIVE account credentials on your Charidy account. This is very important!
- Scroll down and locate your Client ID and Secret API Key. Hold on to these.
- Log into your Charidy Account and go to Account Settings.
- On the left-hand menu, select Payment Gateways > Paypal.
Complete the fields, including the API Secret and API Key which you obtained in steps 1-8.
To Set up a Venmo Account:
Navigate to Settings > Processing > Venmo.
Go to Options > Enable Processing.
Navigate to the dashboard.
Submit the following to your campaign manager;
- Merchant ID [auth_username]
- Public Key [auth_transaction_key]
- Private Key [api_url]
Step 4: Ensure Payment Gateways are up to date:
If you have created a Charidy campaign previously, you might want to double-check that any payment gateways from the previous campaign are up to date, since the funds will be transferred to the associated bank accounts and you want to make sure that those are active. Otherwise, you’ll want to ask your campaign manager to disable them. (You don’t have to wait for your campaign manager to do that before updating and/or adding new accounts, but be sure to be specific about the ones you need removed/disabled).
To check if your payment gateways are up to date:
- Make sure you are logged in and navigated to your Admin Panel.
- Select Payment Gateways from the left-hand menu.
- Locate the Payment Gateway you’d like to review.
- Click on the magnifying glass icon. A popup will appear. Review the information there to make sure that all is accurate.
- Make sure that all applicable payment gateways are enabled. If not, speak to your campaign manager.